When protecting lives and property, there are no taking chances. Building owners and certifiers want to ensure safe structures. While fire service professionals need a way to guarantee customers that they measure up to the highest standards.

That’s why the amendment to the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000 (NSW), is a welcome improvement. It now requires a competent fire safety practitioner (CFSP) to carry out tasks relating to the planning and assessment of essential fire safety systems. If not, building owners or certifiers may be liable.

  • Who is considered a CFSP and how can I find out if I’m working with one?
    Currently, the government is yet to set-up formal accreditation for CFSPs. That means building owners and certifiers are responsible for determining the competence of their selected CFSP. So, how do you identify the right practitioner?

    Competence is key. Previously, it was enough for a professional to be ‘qualified’ to carry out vital tasks. The reforms now also consider a practitioner’s experience. It means the difference between someone with a piece of paper stating they know what to do and one who has actual practical experience to back it up.

    A detailed guide for selecting a CFSP is available for building owners and building certifiers.

    As a reference, a competent fire safety practitioner may include:

    1. A person who holds a certificate of accreditation under the Building Professionals Act 2005
    2. A person who satisfies (a) with an additional qualification; or
    3. A person who completed training or assessment via a specified professional, body or industry organisation (i.e. Australia’s Fire Protection Accreditation Scheme).
    You can also check Fire Protection Association Australia’s (FPAA) Interim Fire Safety Assessor Register. It lists practitioners who meet the minimum requirements (such as experience and professional conduct) to qualify them for future accreditation. It’s an excellent tool for building certifiers and owners to check the competence of the practitioner they are considering quickly.

  • When do I need the services of a CFSP?
    For building owners, a CFSP must complete your fire safety statements (both the Annual Fire Safety Statement and the Supplementary Fire Safety Statement). While a CFSP is not required to conduct routine inspection and maintenance of fire systems, it’s always best to work with providers, like Global Fire, who have their technicians closely supervised by competent practitioners.

    For building certifiers, a CFSP must endorse any plans and specifications for the installation, extension or modification of a relevant fire safety system.

    Further details regarding the reforms and what it means for building owners and certifiers is available here.

So, don’t leave the fire safety of your building to chance. Make sure you work with a CFSP and know exactly how to spot one.

Do you need a competent fire safety practitioner? Global Fire can help. We’re a team of CFSPs working closely with qualified technicians. Our compliance with the latest essential codes and standards goes beyond regulatory requirements. We’re also certified to ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and A/NZS 4801 standards. Talk to us on 1300 88 70 18 or email inquiries@globalfire.com.au.